Salty Sweets: Treats for Grown-Ups



I've had a nagging craving for those ubiquitous childhood treats, the rice krispie square, for quite a while now. When I was a kid, I made them all the time. It was easy - margarine, cereal and marshmallows - and making a batch felt like a real accomplishment. When I got older, I'd catch myself picking up a square from a coffee shop for nostalgia purposes.




But then the New York Times wrote about making rice krispie squares with brown butter. Think about it. Brown butter is the magical elixir that results when you cook butter a few minutes longer than usual. In french it's called Beurre noisette which translates into "hazelnut butter" which makes sense because the butter not only turns brown, it gets downright nutty. It's a wonderful substance.

So you can imagine that using this warm, nutty butter would impart some serious flavour into your favorite childhood treat. It does. Along with a generous pinch of flakey kosher salt, this is a treat that might be fine for kids, but why waste it on them? This is a decidedly delicious treat for adults. Sharing not required.


Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
5 oz mini marshmallows (half a bag)
1/8 t kosher salt
3 cups rice krispies

Grease up an 8x8 square baking pan with butter and set aside.

In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. It will start to get foamy, and after a while, it will turn golden brown and start to smell nutty. Stir frequently to scrape off any bits from the bottom. Watch the pot carefully, because brown butter and burnt butter can happen in an instant.

Once you've achieved brown butter, remove from heat. Add in marshmallows and stir until melted. Stir in the salt and the cereal and quickly spread the mix into your prepared baking dish. I used a flexible silicone spatula to push this gooey mass into each corner.

Let cool and cut into squares. Makes 9 good sized squares.

...........................................

Vancouverite, foodie, crafty, freelance designer, Jeannette Ordas from the popular food blog, Everybody Likes Sandwiches joins us every Wednesday enticing us with her hearty and simple recipes!

Jan Halvarson

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delicious idea - I will be saving this recipe!

Unknown said...

This recipe sounds and looks great! thanks for sharing!!!

Jordan said...

I just made rice krispies last week. I have all the ingredients to make them again but with this yummy recipe!

fee @ chipper nelly said...

what's not to like???!!
(way too good for pesky kids..)
fee x

Genevieve said...

Well this could be a problem. I love salty/sweet. Trying these today! e

Unknown said...

I am for sure going to try this. I think my kids will love it. Yhanks.
Have a nice day!

Jillian said...

what an awesome tip! i love that it's a slightly modified, "grownup" recipe for a childhood treat. salty and sweet are perfect together.

Fiona* said...

My mum used to always make these when we were kids, but instead of kosher salt, she'd use toffee. Particularly good with highland toffee (easier if your from Scotland like us, any toffee would do though!) They're fantastic. Through me right back to childhood birthdays.

Fiona
http://heartshaped-balloon.blogspot.com/

Kristen said...

Mmmm, that sounds divine! I ate so many Rice Krispie treats when I was young--my boyfriend and I had the prep routine down to under six minutes, including opening the box and looking for the measuring cups. If only we'd known we could spend an extra minute on the butter! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. :)

radmegan said...

I've been craving these too! I am going to try these! Thank you!!

:)

radmegan
http://radmegan.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Jeannette I love your baking dish! So beautiful. (And the browning of the butter - so good!) These days I make 'granola bars' which are really just glorified rice crispie squares... but a little more filling perhaps.

Anonymous said...

I make something very similar to this but like the kids ones i put it in a patty case/ muffin tin etc. Then put melted white chocolate over the top and serve it for dessert - family and friends all love it.

Kellie @ MiniMustHave said...

Coming from the land 'downunder' I have NEVER made Rice Krispies before! After reading your blog post last night I ducked into the supermarket this morning, picked up the ingredients and am now off to whip up my first batch!

Abby said...

I needed something quick to make for a small get-together last night at my place and as soon as I saw this recipe, I was sold! They were SUPER quick to make and were a huge hit...not to mention incredibly delicious!

Bijoux said...

I recall the same memories from childhood making rice crispies squares and thinking it was a huge accomplishment. These sound so simple to make. I've never taken on the task of making brown butter anything yet I keep encountering it on food blogs. Not for the kids, eh? I like the way you think :)