DIY: Wire Waste Basket Turned Pendant Light

Contributor post by Janis Nicolay of Pinecone Camp



Hi Everyone! Janis here, from Pinecone Camp. I mentioned on my blog, a couple of weeks ago, that I had found a $2 wire waste basket, and I was going to turn it into a pendant light. Well here it is. I used scrapes of fabric to create a light for my niece. Simple and really inexpensive! 




I picked up a "hemma" cord set from Ikea to attach to my $2 basket.

Next step was to snip out a space to feed the cord through.



Cut strips of fabric to weave and wrap around basket.


Weave fabric strip through basket about every 6 inches.

A happy light for a niece that doesn't like really dark rooms. ;)
Gives of a pinky glow and some pretty shadows. That should scare away any monsters.


So great to contribute to one of my favourite blogs! Thanks Jan. Have a great day everyone!

..........................................................................

An interiors and lifestyle photographer (and closet baker by night), Janis Nicolay hails from Vancouver and adores travel, airports, road trips, camping and mid-century style.

Blog: pineconecamp.blogspot.com
Site: janisnicolay.com
Shop: PineconeCamp.etsy.com

Jan Halvarson

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! I will do mine without the flowery fabric to give it an industrial vibe but great project!


http://bodieandfou.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-next-diy-challenge-is.html

Anonymous said...

such a lovely idea. this looks very cute!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Love this DIY! Simple but very effective!

Sylvie Créative - Créations Ma Déco Maison said...

What a great transformation! The fabric seems to be jewelry with the light. Congratulations!

b said...

this is brilliant! so many possibilities!

Kerry said...

Janis, you are a genius! And that's one lucky niece.

Ames and Tash said...

Very cool - it looks wonderful with the light on.

Malu said...

Thank you.
I love it :o)

Rikkianne said...

I can not wait to try this! Love it!

Stef@ said...

ma questa è straordinaria!!!!Da rifare!!
Grazie!
Stefy

gabricci said...

Just love it. Now I know what I'm doing this afternoon.

Katy @ Lolly Linens said...

Super cute! I'll be looking for a wire basket!

kate / tinywarbler said...

so, so pretty! it's perfect for a little girls room. that's one lucky niece! ;)

Kate said...

My grandma (the original DIY-er) made a bunch of these out of wicker garbage bins and old dresses! They're still in use at the family cabin and they look great!

chelsea lyn said...

i love it! this will be my little weekend project.

Pinecone Camp said...

I'm happy that some of you might just give this project a go! There are so many wire baskets out there in the world ;) I did do one, without the fabric, but my niece is 8 and girly. I'd love to see what you guys come up with!

Sarah B said...

It's just gorgeous. I love the fabric you have used. What a lucky recipient!

Unknown said...

this maybe be the perfect light idea for my greenhouse/art studio!
Thanks

Jenny P said...

Oh my gosh!! What a brilliant and sweet idea! So cute!

Erin said...

Janis...this is SO clever! I've seen alot of lamp redo's lately...but this one is simply perfect (especially because I have one of these wire baskets sitting in storage)!

Cactus Flower Clothing said...

This is so cute! I really love this idea. Thank you so much for sharing!

Kimberly said...

I just clicked through from homepodge and had to tell you how much I love this idea! It's perfect for a little girl's room!!

Frau Haselmayer said...

Great DIY tutorial and a really cute idea!

NATASHA _ KOWALAK / BL0G said...

cute!!! i love this idea!!



http://natashakowalak.blogspot.com/

Casey said...

this is such a pretty light!