Learn' & Eatin': How to Shred Cabbage + Apple 'Slaw




In our house we are bona fide 'slaw lovers. It works well for us because cabbage is cheap and crunchy and green (or purple, depending) and that makes it king with us. While I can easily live on cabbage, I know that others seem puzzled by the vegetable. And I think it all comes down to not knowing how to shred it. Some of my nicest friends have made coleslaw for me and I can tell that it's been a bit of a dodgy nightmare for them. So for all you out there who buy bags of shredded cabbage or coleslaw "mix" from the store, this post is for you!





Step One: Core the cabbage + remove wimpy outer leaves.
 Cut your cabbage in half and then cut a "V" shape into the core-stem thingy, popping it out. Remove any limp or ugly outer leaves.


Step Two: Thinly slice the cabbage...carefully.
The main tip here is to use your knuckles as a guide so you end up chopping the cabbage, not your fingers. The blade of the knife will rest against your knuckles as you slice downwards. Move your fingertips back before each slice to keep your cabbage sliced as thinly as possible.


Step Three: Cross-cut the slices.
I never used to do this, but now it's the only way to go! After your cabbage is sliced, just cut the cabbage crosswise into halves or quarters. This prevents long strings of cabbage which isn't bad, but this way is better. Trust me. Or if you want, KFC style, just chop up like crazy into tiny bits!


Helpful? I hope so! And I hope it gets rid of some serious 'slaw fears and disasters. Let's now celebrate your new-found skillz with my new favorite slaw - it's got a ton of apples for added sweetness and some black sesame seeds for colour and crunch. Normally, I don't go for heavy mayo-based slaws, but this one is pretty perfect with yogurt to thin things out. The resulting slaw is tangy and sweet and is the perfect side dish for your holiday table.


Apple Slaw
(adapted from Wolfgang Puck)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium cabbage (purple, green or a mix of both), finely shredded
1 large carrot, grated or julienned
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
3 apples, peeled, cored, julienned
1/4 cup black sesame seeds or poppy seeds

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients - the vinegar to the pepper. Set aside.

In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrots, scallions or onions, apples and seeds until well mixed. Pour in the dressing and toss until everything is well coated. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Mix again before serving.

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Jan Halvarson

4 comments:

Zane said...

looks yummy

Coco Cake Land said...

perfect!! thanks for the tutorial jeannette! ^__^

Joanne said...

These instructions are perfect for me. I always cut the core the way you show in the photo but then I start chopping without any rhyme or reason. The result is a variety of sizes and lengths of cabbage and it doesn't look pretty at all. I'm going to give this process a try next time.

Peggy said...

Thank you so much! I have been absolutely craving cabbage slaw, any and all varieties!! I don't have a greek yogurt but I do have regular yogurt which is going to go in a strainer. Umm I see dinner tomorrow... pulled port sandwiches and cabbage slaw! Perfect for wet grey winter days!!