Oat & Fresh Nutmeg Scones


It's been ages since I've made scones and it's a shame because they are well appreciated in this little household. All I need to do is mention to my sleeping husband that a batch of scones just came out from the oven and that horizontal man jumps up, wide awake. It's like magic!





I wanted to deviate from the usual and try something a little different. These scones may seem a bit on the plain side, but trust me, they're pretty much perfect as is. Flakey and tender and rustic - these are the perfect thing to dampen the chill out of a winter morning.


The only real secret to these is to use freshly grated nutmeg. It's funny because I used to hate nutmeg as it always seemed too strong and perfumey. But I realized that's the sadness of using stale ground nutmeg - especially one that's been hanging out in your cupboard since your last move or two. So get yourself a fresh nut (I had to crack mine out from its shell) and use a microplane to get a nice fine sprinkle. The scent is seriously intoxicating.


Delicious with coffee in the morning and a little bit of jam or I'm sure it makes a fine evening snack with a spot of tea. Enjoy!


Oat & Nutmeg Scones
(adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking)
1 cup AP flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cup rolled whole oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 egg
1/2 cup yogurt

Preheat oven to 400F.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and nutmeg. Dump in the cold butter cubes and use your fingers to work in the butter into the flour - you want pea-sized lumps.

In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and egg and then stir into the flour mixture. Use your hands to knead the dough just a few times until the dough comes together in a ball.

Sprinkle some flour and oats onto a cutting board and place the dough on top. Shape and dough into a 5" circle and then slice into wedges.

Place wedges onto a silpat or parchment sheet covered baking tray and bake for about 18-20 minutes until golden.

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Jan Halvarson

13 comments:

Jacaranda Designs Jewelry said...

They look absolutely scrumptious. I think I shall try making these when I have some time off at Christmas. I can imagine, they smell wonderful with the nutmeg.

Coco Cake Land said...

Jeannette, I'm seriously inspired to crack a nut!! :) No really... these look perfect and simple and yummy.

^__^

Brittany Boersma said...

These sound right up my alley:)

Melissa@Julias Bookbag said...

I ADORE nutmeg, it's one of my favorite spices -- these looks DIVINE and so perfect with jam and tea! Cannot wait to try! Pinning! :)

Melissa@Julias Bookbag said...

Um, they 'look' divine. They are so awesome looking apparently I forgot how to spell :)

Jess said...

Holy amazing those look good. Must be dinner time. Scratch that. Dessert time.

Unknown said...

These look delicious. I'm making them straight away.

Helen Hallows said...

I made these last night! Utterly yummy and very quick and easy. Added some cinnamon too. Thanks x

Pinecone Camp said...

I think I have to make these this weekend! They look delicious, and I love the propping too!

m said...

gorgeous :) just makes me want to bake and sit down with a book, scone in hand and a cup of milk already!

Amy said...

These look like they would be so perfect with coffee of tea on a cool winter morning. I just love nutmeg.

Being Julia said...

These sound wonderful...can hardly wait to make them...
Am I missing something though?....What is AP flour?
Thanks,
Julia

Jan Halvarson said...

Hi Julia,

AP - is All Purpose Flour.

: )

Jan