Room for Cake: Teddie's Apple Cake



January seems to be a time of austerity measures, be it for the pocket book or for your dinnertime. Don't fret that I'm suggesting you ruin all your good progress with dessert. Because there's nothing wrong with dessert, especially when we're talking about this buff, bronzed little number. I don't want to plead with you, but this is a nice little recipe to have handy in your back pocket for when there's last minute company or your evening tea seems a bit lonely.






The recipe contains whole wheat flour and is packed to the gills with crisp local apples. Cardamom, cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg add their lilt while walnuts add a lovely bite. Demerara sugar is sprinkled over the whole thing before it hits the oven for a little sparkle and crunch. This is good, good cake here.


I made this cake for company and it got rave reviews all 'round. Simple and rustic looking, it's not very fancy or too sweet. But if you wanted to guild the lily with a little french vanilla ice cream or a sloppy dollop of whipped cream, I'd suggest that you go right ahead.


Teddie's Apple Cake
(From the New York Times by way of Sweet Amandine)
I used roasted walnut oil here, but good ol' vegetable oil, melted coconut oil or even melted butter will be just fine. But, BUT, if you can find walnut oil give it a try. I think it's what helps to make this cake extra special. 

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup roasted walnut oil
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups peeled, cored, and large diced apples
1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon demerara sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9 inch cake tin.

In a bowl, whisk together the flours, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, salt and baking soda together. Set aside.

Beat together the oil and brown sugar until well mixed. Add in the eggs and vanilla and continue beating until the mix is creamy. Dump in the flour mixture and slowly mix until just combined. Fold in the apples and the walnuts.

Spoon batter into the prepared cake pan and then sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before turning cake out of pan.

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Jan Halvarson

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Yum! Looks and sounds delicious!

xox, ashley
afterninetofive.net

Littletree Designs // Rebecca said...

Ooh this looks super scrummy! I love cake with fruit and apples are my favourite at the moment!x

Tulips & Tulle said...

Looks amazing! I'd love if you stopped by Tulips&Tulle soon!

Melissa@Julias Bookbag said...

Love apple cakes! And thanks for posting such a delightful looking cake on my birthday, tee hee!

Danielle Hardy said...

Looks delicious! Can't wait to try out the recipe :)

~amy~ said...

thanks for sharing...sounds delish!

Lulu said...

Mmmmm I love apple cake =) This looks so yummy!

Joanne said...

Not sure why my earlier post didn't show up here so I'll try posting again.

This sounds like the perfect guilt-free, wholesome cake my husband wishes I made more often instead of the uber-sweet, decadent desserts I tend to gravitate towards. I think I'll make it with buckwheat flour, to cure what's been ailing me lately. Thanks!