Wake up to Lemony Sunshine: Lemon Yogurt Parfait

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

It's easy for me to get into a breakfast rut and eat the same thing every single day. Homemade granola, toast, or oatmeal makes up a fine breakfast, but some days you gotta just shake things up. And when you can mix together different textures and flavours and create something special out of ordinary ingredients - well now you've created the perfect start to the day.

And this lemon yogurt parfait is certainly a departure from the usual for me. For one thing, it tastes exactly like pie! PIE!!! Want to sneak in some lemon meringue pie for breakfast or craving an after-dinner sweet? Make this creamy treat instead. It tastes amazingly indulgent and it's even kinda good for you too. The lemon curd is the perfect blend of sweet and tart and you don't need to add a lot to your yogurt to create that flavour punch. Add a bit of curd to your parfait at first and more later if you feel your glass needs it.

The only bit of work is in making the lemon curd and this recipe breaks down the process into just a few simple steps. Just minimal patience and a good whisking arm and you're set. I've made this recipe several times and it always turns out delicious. The lemon curd also makes a great cupcake or thumbprint cookie filling too. It also tastes just fine eaten out of the jar with a spoon. So go ahead and make your mornings bright and lemony.


Lemon Yogurt Parfait

low fat lemon curd (adapted from here)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp fresh lemon zest
5 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

plain low fat yogurt
your favorite crunchy cereal (lightly crushed) or granola

Prepare lemon curd by mixing sugar, zest and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Slowly, very slowly, add lemon mixture in a slow stream over egg, whisking as you go. Whisk for 2 minutes and then strain mixture back into saucepan to remove the zest. Bring to a simmering boil, whisking constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool.

In a glass, add several spoonfuls of plain yogurt, a thin layer of granola or crushed cereal and one spoonful of lemon curd. Repeat. Eat immediately.

Lemon curd should keep for about a week if it lasts that long.

Jan Halvarson

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds 'parfait' except for I am sworn to lose 10 kilos and all that sugar ain't gonna cut it; sniff. Thanks for making me drool and ruining my morning, haha! Back to the Oatcakes...

Lady Grey said...

Yum, I love this idea for breakfast... looks delicious!

Pinecone Camp said...

Well, that would sure funktify my mornings. Looks delicious!

Mandy Crandell said...

Can't wait to try this!

MaybeThisDoor said...

Yum, you've inspired me. I'm going to try this for me and the hubs tomorrow. But instead of lemon curd I'll have some of my vanilla bourbon peach syrup on it. Thanks for the new idea.

travelbunny.blogspot.com

Claudia said...

Oh my, this looks heavnely delicious!!!! I really must do something like this!! I just had dinner and you made my mouth water... :) Happy Wednesday!

jonahliza said...

this looks and sounds soo yummy! i love lemon everything. hehe

Joanne said...

This sounds soooo good! I love lemon curd and often ogle at the ready made jars found in the supermarket. Now I can make my own!